Thursday, October 2, 2008

Now for the chicken incident

For as wonderful as my husband may be, his memory is absolutely horrible. Amazes me that he can remember the stats for every NFL player on his fantasy football team, but can't remember that I told him 7 times that we have to go to a birthday party for our nephew over the weekend. So yesterday I was watching Oprah and it was about overwhelmed moms. The zenny, feel good speaker she had on was saying how HE didn't understand why husbands weren't the first line of defense in combatting the feelings of being overwhelmed. We should be telling our husbands when we are feeling overwhelmed and ask for help. I so wanted Oprah to say that we really shouldn't have to ask, considering that nobody is ASKING us to do what needs to get done-we just do it. Why does a woman have to ask her husband to take the full laundry basket down to the basement? He sees it is full doesn't he? Anyway, after watching the show, I did the dishes, prepared the bottles and juice cups for daycare the next day, packed the diaper bag, completed daycare paperwork, bathed the baby, and set the coffee pot up for the next morning. As I was taking the baby upstairs to feed her and put us to bed I asked my husband, who had been sitting on the sofa watching Gladiator for the 100th time (I love that movie too) to please bring a roaster up from the basement freezer so that it would thaw and I could put it in the crockpot in the morning for dinner. He said he would do it. I then made direct eye-contact and said, "Please do not forget to bring the roaster up from the freezer before you come up to bed." He said he wouldn't. I walked upstairs hoping he would disappoint my expectations which were that he would forget. So I get up this morning, nurse the baby and get dressed to let the dog out and take her for her walk. I get downstairs and lo and behold there is no thawed chicken to be found. Took the dog for her walk and came home to his lowered head and "oops I did it again" smile when he saw that I took something else out that I could get in the crockpot before I left for work. I'm going to find that zenny feel good Oprah guy and tell him "SEE-THIS is why women are overwhelmed." Ask for help? Sure...then he just forgets and I'm more overwhelmed because now I have work harder to figure out what to do since he forgot to do the thing that would have helped me NOT be overwhelmed.

2 comments:

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I feel that I can relate to this post. Kind of like when i'm working a 90 hr week and i kindly ask L to make sure he picks up a card and gift/giftcard for your child's christening... um yeah. And he looks at me directly in the eye and says "i can do that"! uh huh... yeah

Preach on Sista!!!

Kelly said...

I do appreciate their efforts to at least be willing to do that which we ask. Much better than getting a flat out, "No, that's your job and I'm not doing it."