Monday, October 6, 2008

Cheerleading

I went to my nephews' football game yesterday. I am able to get to about 2 games a season and love watching how good they are getting. They are 8 and 10 so they are on the peewee team, or whatever little league for football is called. The younger one is a smaller kid and looks so stinkin' cute in those pads and helmet. Helped him get through 9 guys to get a touchdown so he doesn't mind at all. Now, with peewee football players come peewee cheerleaders. These are undoubtedly, the cutest little 6 and 7 year old cheerleaders. Unless, of course, you were sitting on the other team's side of the field. The matching pig-tails, squeaky shouting, uber-excitement-totally sweet. What I can't, for the life of me, wrap my mother of 2 little girls brain around is why in the world the adults who are in charge of teaching these girls various cheers think it is a good idea to teach them cheers that have them shouting "Shake your booty" or "split the V, dot the I, curve the C" and performing the novice stripper moves that go with those lyrics all for the benefit of the adult audience in front of them. I might have been able to chalk it up as just maybe slightly inappropriate until I heard the coach of these 7 YEAR OLD girls yelling at them in the middle of one of the cheers, "Shake those hips girls. That's what God gave 'em to ya for." I wish I was making that up. At that point I looked at my sister slackjawed. She's the mother of the football players who also has my 1 year old niece coming up in the ranks. She laughed because she knows how much the cheers infuriate me and said, "That's why this one is doing gymnastics." Yeah, well don't even get me started on my confusion as to why male gymnists get to wear pants and women have to wear the wedgie one piece. There are plenty of cheers for these girls to do that do not include shaking booties and pelvic thrusts-why can't they just do those cheers? Am I just being overly sensitive because I have 2 girls of my own? What do you think?

1 comment:

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I used to cheer when i was in 6th grade for my bro's midget team. I dont remember pelvic thrusting but i do remember a cheer about saying no to drugs - it was the nancy reagan era! Anyways, i think its just how things have changed. Before it was this cute girls with pig tails screaming and doing cartwheels and now its about being sexy - so NOT cool. I don't like it one bit. And i never thought about the male gymnast outfits, but now that you brought it up... i dont like them even with pants on... just too clingy and tight for my taste :)